It’s hard to have a bad time when a collection of your most heavily listened to artists of the past year are jam packed into one small park over a span of three short days. Between the good vibes, abundance of free VitaminWater (far and away the highlight of the weekend), newly made friends, and obviously the incredible live music, it was one of the best weekends I’ve ever had. Even during the dreadful weather, it seemed to be impossible to not have a good time. I decided to not do reviews because it seemed unnecessary, but here is some recap:
Italics denote a highlight set.
The Olivia Tremor Control
Godspeed You! Black Emperor
Oneohtrix Point Never
Top 10 sets:
1. Dirty Projectors
2. Ty Segall
3. Chromatics (Lincoln Hall aftershow)
5. Danny Brown
6. Beach House
7. A$AP Rocky
8. Big K.R.I.T.
9. Real Estate
Worst sets: The Olivia Tremor Control and Youth Lagoon
- My mom met Dave Longstreth (??)
- Dirty Projectors are the best band and Dave is so cool and Amber is so great and they destroyed and I’m so in love.
- I missed the whole Lady Gaga coming out during Kendrick Lamar thing.
- Chief Keef coming out during Araabmuzik was better anyway.
- I met Charlie and Emily of the Ty Segall Band. They rule. Emily had the same White Fence shirt I had on.
- Chromatics were BRILLIANT at their aftershow at Lincoln Hall. So gorgeous, so dancey, so sleek, so solid. I met them after the set and the whole band signed my copy of Night Drive. Johnny Jewel loved my Ride shirt, and told me about the time he saw them in front of 30 people in the ’90s.
- Johnny Jewel’s face makeup was silly but awesome.
- Youth Lagoon is boring and whiney.
- The Olivia Tremor Control are obnoxious.
- The rain was amazing during A$AP’s Clams Casino produced tracks.
- Big K.R.I.T. is a monster.
- Danny Brown has a massive tongue.
- That record tent came straight from hell. It was essentially a vacuum connected straight to my wallet.
- Can’t stress enough the awesomeness of free VitaminWater.
- Abbey Pub’s fish & chips are what I’m all about.
- GY!BE are hard to get into when you aren’t right up front. Hopefully I get another chance to see them.
- Ty Segall forever.
- Elias Rønnenfelt is so hot.
- Ran into Chris of Lewis and His Blog/TheNeedleDrop at Iceage’s set. He almost killed me with his elbows, cool dude though.
- After the Iceage —> Ty Segall moshpit insanity, Real Estate —> 0PN was the best way to cool down.
- Rap this year was on point.
- I’m sad I missed Thee Oh Sees, but I’ll be seeing them in September, and Iceage was just so brutal.
- I heard the Field as I was walking out. Really wish I could have saw the Field.
- Best New Weekend.